Editor’s note: These numbers will continue to be updated as they are confirmed by Global News. Graphics can take up to 10 minutes to update following number changes. For the latest vaccination rates province by province, check out our Coronavirus vaccine tracker.
- Newly confirmed COVID-19 cases reported by the provinces have brought the national total to over 1.59 million cases and more than 27,600 deaths. Over 1.52 million people have recovered, leaving over 45,000 active cases across the country. More than 42.8 million tests have been performed to date.
This chart includes confirmed, presumptive and epidemiologically-linked cases in all provincial totals. Breakdowns of cases and testing can be found on provincial websites.
Canada’s daily COVID-19 case count is rising again as the Delta variant spreads throughout the country.
An analysis of data compiled by Global News found the seven-day average as of Sept. 24 was 4,226 cases per day — back up to levels last seen in late May of this year.
As of Sept. 26, more than 55,807,027 doses of approved COVID-19 vaccines have been administered across Canada.
So far, 29,051,941 Canadians have received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine, while 26,755,086 Canadians are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, having received both required doses.
On June 19, Canada hit the vaccination milestone of inoculating at least 75 per cent of its eligible population with at least one dose and 20 per cent with both. As of Sept. 24, those numbers have risen to 87.4 per cent with one dose and 80.4 per cent with two.
Hospitalizations, which also saw a significant drop earlier this summer, are now also starting to climb again.
As of Sept. 24, the latest seven-day average of those seeking treatment in hospital for COVID-19 has risen to 2,202 patients per day, a roughly 450 per cent jump from just one month ago. About 700 people are being treated in intensive care units.
The average number of deaths per day now sits around 35, marking a continued upward climb from the significant drop seen earlier this summer.
Federal modelling done in April and May suggested that if 75 per cent of eligible Canadians — those 12 years old and above — had at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and 20 per cent had two, provinces could safely begin easing restrictions on public movement without overwhelming hospitals again.
But Canada’s chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam says the variants used to develop those models didn’t include Delta, which is the most infectious one tracked in Canada to date, believed to cause more severe illness, and is expected to become the dominant variant circling.
She says cautious, staged reopenings, which leave lots of room to monitor an increase in case counts and detect surges of variants like Delta, will be critical.
Other variants of concern, like the Alpha variant that was first identified in the United Kingdom, are also continuing to spread across the country.
- As of Jan. 14, Global News is counting both lab-confirmed and epidemiologically-linked cases for British Columbia, which includes both kinds of cases in their official count. Data prior to Jan. 14 has been corrected.
- B.C. reported 743 new cases of COVID-19 in the latest update on Sept 24. The new infections bring the province’s total to 182,541.
- Five new deaths means the province’s death toll stands at 1,915. At least 173,786 cases have recovered.
British Columbia has hit the 80 per cent mark with the number of eligible residents who have received both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine.
The province says that compares with nearly 88 per cent of people who have been vaccinated with their initial dose.
The province says that after factoring for age, people who are unvaccinated are nearly 26 times more likely to be hospitalized than those who are fully vaccinated.
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said this week that more information on a return to providing notices about exposure to the virus at schools would be available by the end of this week, but the Health Ministry now says that will happen next week.
- Alberta Health reported 1,651 new COVID-19 cases in the latest update on Sept. 24. Eleven more coronavirus deaths were also announced.
- The province has seen a total of 288,357 infections and 2,622 deaths, while 265,695 people have recovered.
On Friday afternoon, Alberta’s chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw delivered a warning through social media for anyone planning to alter their COVID-19 vaccine documents to say they are vaccinated if they have not been.
“We are hearing reports of people trying to falsify proof of… vaccination records,” she tweeted. “We are at a critical time and need Albertans to do all they can to help reduce strain on the health system. We need people to abide by current restrictions and not look for ways around the rules.
“To be clear: falsifying records is against the best interest of Albertans’ health and is a criminal offence under the Criminal Code, and may also be an offence under the Health Information Act. Rather than risk potential consequences, get vaccinated. It’s your best protection.”
- Saskatchewan announced 527 new infections in the latest update on Sept. 24. The province has now seen a total of 64,402 cases of the virus.
- The province’s death toll stands at 663 after five new deaths were reported, while 59,005 people have recovered from the virus.
Saskatchewan has suspended its organ donation program due to a lack of resources brought on by the province’s fourth wave of COVID-19.
The Saskatchewan Health Authority says that means if residents who are registered donors die, their organs will not be given to people who need them.
“We’re very saddened as a province,” Dr. Lori Garchinski, the health authority’s director of tertiary care, said Thursday.
Garchinski said organ donation co-ordinators have experience with critical care, and they are needed to help with the overflow of COVID-19 patients in Regina and Saskatoon.
The province will continue to provide immediate tissue donations to eye patients.
Health care in Saskatchewan is being restructured to redeploy staff and other resources to help with record COVID-19 hospitalizations, mostly fuelled by the unvaccinated. The province has one of the lowest vaccination rates in Canada.
- As of Aug. 14, Global News is counting both lab-confirmed and presumptive cases for Manitoba, which no longer provides a breakdown of its cases. Data prior to Aug. 14 has been corrected.
- Manitoba reported 60 new COVID-19 cases and no new deaths in the latest update on Sept. 24.
- The province has seen a total of 60,000 infections, an unknown number of which are considered probable cases.
- The province’s death toll stands at 1,207 while at least 58,294 people have recovered overall.
Many public-sector workers in Manitoba will soon have to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or get tested up to three times a week.
The measures, first alluded to last month, are to take effect Oct. 18. The public health order will cover people who work in direct contact with vulnerable populations, including teachers, health-care employees and staff at licensed child-care centres.
Workers who are not vaccinated will have to show a negative rapid-test result taken within 48 hours of the start of any shift.
“So (for) somebody who works a typical five-day work week, depending exactly on when the shifts start, it could be up to three tests in a week,” Dr. Brent Roussin, the province’s chief public health officer, said Friday.
The government said tests will be free for workers, at least initially, because the province has a large supply of rapid-test kits acquired through the federal government.
The order does not cover workers at casinos or provincial inspectors who attend bars and restaurants, even though customers must be vaccinated unless they have a medical exemption.
- Ontario reported 727 new cases of COVID-19 in the latest update on Sept. 24, with eight new deaths.
- The province has seen a total of 582,635 confirmed cases and 9,688 deaths from the virus. However, 567,200 individuals have recovered.
Ontario is easing capacity limits at certain venues where proof of vaccination is required, paving the way for more people immunized against COVID-19 to attend conventions, concerts and Blue Jays games.
Starting Saturday, capacity limits at outdoor events where people stand will increase to up to 75 per cent capacity or 15,000 people, whichever is less. That’s up from the previous cap of 5,000 people.
For outdoor events where people are seated, limits will be increased to up to 75 per cent capacity or 30,000 people. That means the Blue Jays are able to increase capacity at the Rogers Centre in Toronto to 30,000 — up from 15,000 spectators — for their push to make the playoffs.
The province also said proof of vaccination will now be required in outdoor settings where the normal capacity is 20,000 people or more.
Indoors, cinemas, concert venues, sporting events, banquet halls, convention centres, racing venues, and commercial film and TV productions with studio audiences will have capacity limits of up to 50 per cent or 10,000 people, whichever is less. That’s up from a previous limit of 1,000 people.
The changes do not apply to restaurants, which this week had to start asking for patrons’ proof of immunization for indoor dining as the province’ vaccine certificate system took effect.
- Quebec reported 701 new cases of COVID-19 in its latest update on Sept. 24 and two new virus-related deaths.
- The province has seen a total of 406,429 cases and 11,349 deaths to date, although more than 388,000 recoveries have been reported.
Mask-wearing will be mandatory in common areas of private seniors residences in several parts of Quebec starting next week, the Health Department said Friday, amid a rise in COVID-19 cases in those facilities.
Seniors Minister Marguerite Blais said Friday on Twitter “a rise in COVID is leading us to be extra careful,” regarding the decision to impose more masking. The new order will affect residences in regions such as Montreal and its northern suburb Laval, Estrie and Outaouais.
Health officials said there were 67 active cases of COVID-19 at seniors residences across Quebec. Nearly half those cases were linked to an outbreak at Manoir Gouin in Montreal, where 32 residents have active cases of COVID-19 and three have died. There have been no other deaths linked to active COVID-19 outbreaks at seniors residences in the province, the Health Department added.
Health officials said Friday there were 41 cases of COVID-19 linked to long-term care facilities and two deaths connected with active outbreaks in those centres.
Quebec’s immunization committee recently recommended a third dose for those who are immunocompromised or undergoing dialysis, but it has not done so for people in elder care settings.
- New Brunswick reported 78 new cases of COVID-19 in the latest update on Sept. 24, along with three new deaths.
- There have been 3,707 cases in total, at least 3,081 of whom have since recovered. The province’s death toll stands at 52 people.
As New Brunswick reimposed a state of emergency Friday to deal with a sudden surge in COVID-19 cases, a senior health official admitted the province was wrong to lift all health-protection orders in late July.
Health officials confirmed Friday that the province’s hospitals are struggling keep pace with a surge in infections caused by the highly contagious Delta variant.
Dr. Gordon Dow, infectious disease specialist with the Horizon Health Network, said the lifting of health-protection measures almost two months ago was an error.
Dow said the province’s previous efforts to combat the virus focused on a successful “elimination strategy” that was used to rapidly shut down seven distinct outbreaks. But the province wasn’t ready for the Delta variant, he said.
On Friday, Premier Blaine Higgs introduced a number of other health-protection measures. They include new rules to limit contacts, ensure physical distancing and require certain businesses and events to have vaccination or masking-and-testing policies.
Asked if it was an error to lift all health-protection orders in July, Higgs said that decision was based on the best available advice.
- Nova Scotia reported 34 new cases of COVID-19 in the latest update on Sept. 24.
- The total number of cases in the province is 6,486, with 95 deaths, while 6,222 cases have recovered.
Thirty-two new cases are in the central region of the province, which includes Halifax.
Of the newly reported cases in the central area, 19 are under investigation.
There is also one new case in each of the northern and western zones.
Nova Scotia has 169 active reported cases of COVID-19.
Fourteen people are in hospital with the disease, including one in intensive care.
Prince Edward Island
- P.E.I. reported six new cases in the latest update on Sept. 24.
- The total number of cases in the province is 293, and 254 cases have recovered. No deaths have been reported.
Officials say three new infections involve people who recently travelled outside Atlantic Canada.
The other three involve Island residents who were diagnosed with the disease in other provinces.
None of the new cases are connected to the outbreak at West Royalty Elementary School in Charlottetown that was declared earlier this month.
Officials say about 86 per cent of residents are fully vaccinated and more than 93 per cent have received at least one dose.
Prince Edward Island has 39 active COVID-19 cases.
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Newfoundland and Labrador reported 45 new cases over two days in the latest update on Sept. 24.
- The province has seen 1,654 confirmed cases and seven deaths, while 1,531 cases have recovered.
The province’s acting chief medical officer of health said a cluster that began in a personal care home in Baie Verte, N.L., on the northeast coast, has spread to neighbouring communities.
Public health is asking residents not to travel into and out of the affected region — which now includes the town Twillingate, N.L., and the surrounding area — unless it’s absolutely necessary, Dr. Rosann Seviour told reporters.
There were 109 active reported COVID-19 infections in the province — a number Health Minister John Haggie on Friday called “a threshold we had hoped we wouldn’t see again.” Seventy of those active cases are connected to the outbreak in the Baie Verte area, and 21 of those infections are breakthrough cases — or infections affecting people who were fully vaccinated, Seviour said.
Vaccination rates on the province’s northeast coast are low, she noted, with just over 70 per cent of eligible residents fully immunized. By contrast, nearly 80 per cent of all Newfoundlanders and Labradorians had two doses of vaccine as of Tuesday, government data shows. With the Delta variant fuelling the outbreak, those numbers simply are not high enough, Seviour said.
There are active COVID-19 infections at four schools across the province, including 10 cases at an all-grades school near Summerford, N.L., where in-person learning was suspended, officials said.
Heightened public health measures restricting social gatherings and household bubbles will expand from the Baie Verte peninsula to Twillingate and surrounding communities at midnight Friday night.
- Yukon added seven new cases of COVID-19 in its latest update on Sept. 24.
- There have been 745 cases to date, 698 of whom have recovered. The territory has seen nine deaths from COVID-19.
Yukon is launching an online COVID-19 vaccine credential system, with the territory’s premier saying there are no immediate plans for a vaccine mandate seen in other provinces and territories.
Premier Sandy Silver said earlier this month that the credential will be available online and will help residents when they are asked for proof of vaccination in other jurisdictions, including when they travel.
The system will give residents the option of receiving a digital copy or printing a paper copy of their proof of vaccination.
Roughly 85 per cent of all eligible Yukon residents are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
The territorial government doesn’t require employees or people who want to access services to be vaccinated and Silver said he doesn’t see that changing soon.
- The Northwest Territories added 37 new cases of COVID-19 in the latest update on Sept. 23.
- The territory has seen a total of 918 local cases, two of whom have died. A total of 662 cases have recovered.
The Northwest Territories is introducing stricter public health measures and extending current orders as the territory continues to deal with an outbreak of COVID-19.
Starting Saturday, public gatherings in the capital of Yellowknife and surrounding areas will be limited to 10 people indoors, down from 25.
All schools and non-essential businesses will remain closed until at least Oct. 4.
Chief public health officer, Dr. Kami Kandola, says health care in the N.W.T. is stretched and the measures are meant to act as a circuit-breaker.
Kandola says the territory has the highest active per capita rate of COVID-19 cases in the country at 238, 141 of those in Yellowknife and surrounding area.
- Nunavut reported no new cases of COVID-19 in its latest update on Sept. 24.
- There have been 663 cases to date, 655 of which have recovered, and the territory has seen four deaths from the virus.
Health restrictions were lifted in the community of Arviat Wednesday after health officials confirmed no community spread of COVID-19.
Dr. Michael Patterson, Nunavut’s chief public health officer, said all samples collected during the investigation came back negative. The investigation was launched after a presumptive positive case was detected, which also later came back negative.
Effective immediately, the territory has lifted its recommendation not to travel in and out of Arviat, and individuals who aren’t fully vaccinated won’t have to isolate after leaving the community. Limits on gatherings have also been increased, and activities like team sports and indoor dining can resume.
All of Nunavut is once again under a mask mandate, however. The territory lifted the mandate in July, but Patterson reinstated it on Sunday in response to rising cases in southern Canada.
Questions about COVID-19? Here are some things you need to know:
Health officials caution against all international travel. Returning travellers are legally obligated to self-isolate for 14 days, beginning March 26, in case they develop symptoms and to prevent spreading the virus to others. Some provinces and territories have also implemented additional recommendations or enforcement measures to ensure those returning to the area self-isolate.
Symptoms can include fever, cough and difficulty breathing — very similar to a cold or flu. Some people can develop a more severe illness. People most at risk of this include older adults and people with severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung or kidney disease. If you develop symptoms, contact public health authorities.
To prevent the virus from spreading, experts recommend frequent handwashing and coughing into your sleeve. They also recommend minimizing contact with others, staying home as much as possible and maintaining a distance of two metres from other people if you go out.
For full COVID-19 coverage from Global News, click here.
— With files from Global News’ Sean Boynton, Kerri Breen, Graeme Benjamin, Kalina Laframboise, Alessia Simona Maratta, Shane Gibson, Aya Al-Hakim, Hannah Jackson, Simon Little, Shane Gibson, Heide Pearson, Gabby Rodrigues, Ryan Rocca, Travis Dhanraj, Mickey Djuric, Thomas Piller, Karla Renic and the Canadian PressView link »